After having been managed by la Chambre de Commerce et d’Industrie de La Rochelle since its creation, the Airport of La Rochelle – Ile de Ré and the Airport of Rochefort – Charente-Maritime have been grouped, since January 1, 2019, within the Syndicat Mixte des aéroports de La Rochelle – Ile de Ré et Rochefort – Charente-Maritime.
The Syndicat Mixte is made up of six communities:
- Département de Charente-Maritime
- Communauté d’Agglomération de La Rochelle
- Région Nouvelle-Aquitaine
- Communauté de Communes de l’Ile de Ré
- Chambre de Commerce et d’Industrie de La Rochelle
- Communauté d’Agglomération de Rochefort-Océan
The Bureau du Syndicat Mixte is made up of six members:
- Mr Gérard PONS, President, representing Département de Charente-Maritime
- Mr Bertrand AYRAL, 1st Vice-President, representing Communauté d’agglomération de La Rochelle
- Mr Rémi JUSTINIEN, 2nd Vice-President, representing Région Nouvelle-Aquitaine
- Mrs Gisèle VERGNON, representing Communauté de communes de l’Ile de Ré
- Mr Vincent POUDEVIGNE, representing Chambre de Commerce et d’Industrie de Charente-Maritime
- Mr Thierry LESAUVAGE, representing Communauté d’agglomération de Rochefort-Océan
On the occasion of the 1st trade union committee, which was held on January 8, 2019, Mrs DESPREZ, President of the Syndicat Mixte declared: “The development of air links in Charente-Maritime is essential to participate in opening up our territory, to contribute tourism development but also facilitate travel for our fellow citizens. I am delighted to chair this new Syndicat Mixte with a team mobilized to consider new development projects ”
The General Manager of the Syndicat Mixte is Mr Thomas JUIN.
Mr Juin is also Director of La Rochelle – Ile de Ré Airport and Director of Rochefort – Charente-Maritime Airport.
In the space of 15 years, La Rochelle-Ile de Ré Airport has gone from 1 route with Paris to 6 companies, operating 17 routes in 2019, including 12 internationally:
- Air France: Ajaccio, Marseille, Nice, Paris-Orly
- Chalair: Lyon
- Easyjet: Bristol, Geneva, London-Gatwick
- Flybe: Birmingham, Manchester, Southampton
- Jet2: Leeds-Bradford, Manchester
- Ryanair: Brussels-Charleroi, Dublin, London-Stansted, Porto
2018 was a record year with 240,154 passengers welcomed. By way of comparison, the traffic was 66,000 passengers in 2000 and it was not until 2004 to cross the threshold of 100,000 passengers and 2007 to cross that of 200,000 passengers.
In 2019, La Rochelle – Ile de Ré airport welcomed 233,001 passengers.
A major contributor to local and regional tourism, La Rochelle-Ile de Ré Airport generates economic benefits each year estimated at 37.5 million euros for the year 2019.
Activities at the airport
There are more than 180 jobs based at La Rochelle – Ile de Ré Airport, in high season.
The following are notably present on the platform: the ground handling company Aviapartner, the security provider Séris, the Lagardère group for restaurant / shop activities , the business aviation service Aeroluxe , car rental companies , air traffic control, Customs for immigration and customs control missions, civil security, a detachment of the French Navy, 2 companies of aeronautical maintenance , flying clubs , a skydiving club , a helicopter airline , a aircraft manufacturer , etc …
The last extension and restructuring work on the terminal dates back to 2015-2016 and the new terminal was inaugurated on July 7, 2016.
At the end of 2019 / beginning of 2020, the Arrivals room benefited from an extension to improve the reception of passengers and meet the customs requirements induced by Brexit.
The rehabilitation of a hangar allowed the installation, from October 2020, of the company Elixir Aircraft , designer and manufacturer of new generation aircraft, at La Rochelle – Ile de Ré airport.
The extension of the departure lounge, in order to have separate boarding areas to separate the National / Schengen / UK passengers, in the context of Brexit, was inaugurated on 23 March 2022.
Upcoming projects concern:
– the construction of a new fire station for the airport firefighters (SSLIA – Service aircraft rescue and firefighting), scheduled for entry into service in Fall 2022
– the extension of the aircraft parking, to improve the reception of airliners and business aviation
Download the latest press releases
18th September 2021: La Rochelle - Ile de Ré airport inaugurates a giant fresco created by the painter Sandrot
13rd September 2021: Activity report for La Rochelle-Ile de Ré airport as at 31 August 2021
21st April 2021: Luxair launches a new route between Luxembourg and La Rochelle
12nd March 2021: easyJet opens its flights between La Rochelle-Ile de Ré and Nice for sale for the summer of 2021
25th January 2021: Jet2 airline flight schedule for 2021 and 2022
21st September 2020: The Chalair company increases its frequencies on the La Rochelle - Lyon route
6th August 2020: Progress report on the resumption of traffic
2nd July 2020: New in 2020 Nice-La Rochelle with EasyJet / 10 destinations on the summer program
22nd June 2020: Resumption of flights to Ajaccio, Dublin and London-Stansted in July
3rd June 2020: Resumption of flights on June 15, 2020
27th January 2020: Press conference
3rd October 2019: La Rochelle-Lyon route operated by Chalair until 2023
Access our latest newsletters
June 2021 : It happens at the airport !
May 2021: Summer 2021 flight schedule
April 2021: Discover Luxembourg - direct line from La Rochelle
March 2021: Fly to Nice, Luxembourg or Lyon!
September 2020: Chalair increases its frequencies on the La Rochelle - Lyon line
August 2020: Flight schedule August - October 2020
July 2020: New! La Rochelle - Nice with easyJet
Abonnez-vous à la newsletter
Download the price guide
Tariff guide 2021-2022
Applicable from April 1, 2022